Deadline: February 27th, 2016
At the initiative of CERIUM, the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris 3 and with the support of the Ministry of International relations and la Francophonie, the Chair of Contemporary Quebec studies was inaugurated in Paris in the fall of 2007. Its first chair was Daniel Chartier, professor at the Department of Literary studies of UQAM and director and founder (2003) of the Laboratoire international d’étude multidisciplinaire comparée des représentations du Nord. The second chair, Serge Cantin, is responsible for the Department of philosophy of L’UQTR and researcher at the Centre interuniversitaire d’études québécoises (CIEQ-UQTR). Micheline Cambron, professor at the Department of French studies of the University of Montreal, took over the chair for the period of 2009-2010. Jean-Philippe Warren, held the chair for 2010-2011 and the UQAM historian, Yolande Cohen held the chair for 2011-2012. The UQAM art historian Jean-Philippe Uzel and professor in cinema, Marion Froger for 2014-2015. And Philippe Faucher, professor of policial science, has been assigned for the 2015-2016 period.
The Chaire d’étude du Québec contemporain welcomes each year a Quebec professor with the aim of setting up activities related to one or more aspects of contemporary Quebec. The holder of the chair will be hosted at the Centre d’études Québécoises de l’Université Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris 3 (room 408 - Centre Universitaire Censier) for a semester or a full university year. This position is open to interested professors from the University of Montreal and all other Quebec universities.
• The applicant has to be an active professor in a Quebec University
• The chair must be less than 65 years of age when taking office
• The chairman must be present at Sorbonne Nouvelle for one or two semesters
• The holder must take charge at least of one course load per semester: it is recommended for applicants to be affiliated to one or more department so that they can build their project while backing-up their application.
• The holder must lead the chair by organizing colloquiums, conferences, workshops and day-studies.
Areas of study:
• The disciplines covered are languages, social and human sciences
• The following disciplines will receive a special attention from our selection committee: literature, language science, philosophy, history, art history cinematographic studies, theater studies, social sciences, political sciences, economy, judicial studies, management, education etc…
Where possible, the selection committee will try to alternate between the different disciplines.
- The Chair is designed for professors on sabbatical leave, so the holder will keep the salary given by his university of origin.
- A total amount of 13 400$ (under approval of government budget) - for a six to ten month period -, will cover subsistence and travel expenses. This amount will be borne by the Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie du Québec (via CÉRIUM) and will be divided in the following fashion:
- For a single person, a maximum of 1 000 $ can be used on travelling expenses. From the rest of the amount, a monthly allowance of 1 100$ will be given to the holder for the duration of his stay. The rest is offered to cover the activities of the chair.
- For a person accompanied by members of his family, a maximum of 4 000$ can be used for the travelling expenses of the holder and his family. From the rest of the amount, a monthly allowance of 1 100$ is given to the holder for the duration of his stay. The rest is given towards the organization of the activities of the chair.
- The Université Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris 3 offers a supplementary pay corresponding to monthly payments for guest professor’s course loads and to cover the work put towards the management of the chair. The amount is fixed year-by-year. The enrolment must be proposed for a period between September and June. The pay varies following the situation of the candidate. It has a roof along the following lines (example from the 2012/2013 university year):
- Professor (PR) of 60 years and more: maxi pay INM 963 / IB -B1 - PR 1st class 2nd level 4458, 97€ gross / 3662, 25 € nets
- Other PR: maxi pay INM 821 / IB – 1015 maximum PR 2nd class 5ft level or 1st class 1st level 3801 € gross / 3109, 08 € nets
- Maître de Conférences (MCF): maxi pay INM 783 / IB – 966 maximum - MCF normal class 8th level 3625, 51 € gross – 2961, 05 € nets;
- The Service des Relations internationales et européennes also offers a 5000 € envelop for the management of activities linked to the Chaire d’études du Québec contemporain.
The application file:
• Cover letter (including the elements concerning the direction of the chair, conferences, symposiums, workshops, etc.)
• Full CV
• Detailed pedagogical project with a declaration of interest from the part of the Director from the concerned host department(s)
• Authorization and notice from the applicant’s original establishment
• Letter from the academic superior, indicating that the applicant obtained -or that it is very possible that he will obtain a sabbatical leave for the period where he would be responsible for the Chair at Paris 3.The necessary conditions to respect concerning the teaching given by the candidate during his leave have to be mentioned.
• Letter of recommendation (optional)
The selection procedures:
The applications must be sent before February 27th, 2016 to:
M. Frédéric MÉRAND or Michelle DANIEL, Centre d’études et de recherches internationales Université de Montréal 3744, Jean Brillant, office 581 Montréal (Qc) H3T 1P1 Canada
You can also email your application to email@example.com.
CÉRIUM will be in charge of verifying that the files are complete and will send only full dossiers to the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3, who will take the final decision.
The decisions concerning this chair will be announced at the end of May.
With the collaboration of: