Expert in: Israel
Professeur émérite, Chercheur
- International relations
- Religions, identities and politics
- Soviet Union
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Russia (Russian Federation)
My research interests are as follows:
- The history of the Soviet Union and the consequences of its dismantlement, in particular the history of science and intellectuals, the transformation of research systems and the de-modernization of post-Soviet societies and socio-economic polarization and other effects on societies outside the post-Soviet space.
- The contemporary history of Jews and the history of Zionism and the state of Israel, in particular the connections between the Zionist movement and the political right in the West, Jewish opposition to Zionism, the development of the Jewish identity since the turn of the 20th century and the origins and spread of Christian Zionism.
- Science and higher education as factors in international relations, in particular scientific exchanges, the internationalization of education and the role of scientists in international politics.
The themes of some recently completed and current theses and dissertations:
- History textbooks in three post-Soviet states
- The historiography of some Cold War conflicts
- Franco-Romanian relations: between tradition and necessity (1949-1974)
- Pro-Israeli activities in Canada
- Jewish political and religious opposition to Zionism